Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stained Glassed Projects

So my Grandpa Selenke had a lot of hobbies. One hobby that he was definitely King of was being ornery. He was always teasing me, or my Grandma or making up some story. A common phrase out of my Grandma's mouth was "Oh, Pete!" "Or Pete, stop that!" lol I like to think I got a little of his orneryness. When I was younger my Grandpa also collected and smoked tobacco pipes. We kiddos loved playing and pretending with his pipes. And I still love the smell of a tobacco pipe. : ) Grandma made him quit though. : ) He also seemed to like to collect toothpicks and those white wife-beater shirts. lol

Then my grandpa got a motorcycle and liked to take all of us grandkids on motorcycle rides each time we came to visit them in Oxford. Then, they moved out to Warsaw, MO. That's when the motorcycle became a boat! We'd visit them on their lakehouse and had lots of fun in the water.

And lastly, but perhaps my favorite, he learned how to make stained glass items. He would make crosses, fish, shamrock things, and a variety of other items given away to my family as gifts. It definitely sparked my interest and I really wanted to learn his craft. I really wanted to learn it from him. However, I never got around to not being "busy". My Grandpa, Leo Pius Selenke, passed away April 6th, 2011. My favorite things about him were his voice, his salt and pepper beard, and he gave really strong hugs.

So this summer, I happened upon the chance to take a Stained Glass Class! It was pretty stinking cool. My teacher said I was a natural and couldn't believe I hadn't worked with stained glass before.


My first project.

















A constellation/moon/starry sky I am making next. I love, and know a few other people, who love of good night sky. The constellation is Leo. Mostly, because that is my Grandpa's name but also because it is a lion (I kinda like the Aslan reference) and then simply because I did like how this constellation fits. And the moon, well she reminds me of my Mama Mary. I really like this project for myself but I think it will turn into a gift.

















Here is another project I am making for my teaching partner, Casey. Her husband's family has a strong farming tradition out in SEK. The 5E represents their brand. It is on all their equipment. This design needs a little more work to make the actual writing work for stained glass. I need to add a few lines to make the cuts possible. But it should turn out really great!

I actually just bought the glass for the constellation window catcher while in Kansas City! Ready to start working on it before school gets too crazy!

No comments: