Monday, August 15, 2011

On Repeat...not the mindless kind

Repetition is a good thing. It is something as a teacher I appreciate. It is something as a daughter/sister/friend I appreciate and yes even as a music listener I can appreciate. I am definitely guilty of ruining a few good songs for myself because I am constantly putting them on repeat. Right now I am loving Down, by Mat Kearney. I love the "Top of the lungs! Hallelujah!" part and the beginning. :) So I listen to it over and over again because it makes me happy.

I know that at times the Catholic faith is one that gets slammed for it's repetition. However, that is definitely one of my favorite parts and something I believe has helped me grow leaps in bounds in my prayer life, both in formal prayers but most especially in my little impromptu, self-made ones.

Let's talk about formal prayers. One amazing gift I have been given by my Mamma Mary, is the rosary. I remember the night I prayed my first rosary. I was so excited to get home from school and from everything else. I holed up in my room, sat on my bed, and unfolded my cheat sheets someone had written for me as a guide. I had acquired a perhaps uglyish rosary from a Catholic friend that I had been asking rosary questions to. It was one of those white, plastic ones that they hand out to people. But in reality, it was like gold to me. It is kind of funny actually, because now I have several rosaries and that ugly, plastic one is still my favorite. Everyday, it fits perfectly in my pocket and I like that other people have used it too. Yeah, I am sentimental.

So this first night, I remember reading all the prayers. I finished. It took me like 40 minutes. Wow this rosary stuff is going to take up a lot of my time, I thought. To be honest, that first rosary did feel worthwhile but I definitely didn't completely get it. At the beginning, I was a little perplexed about the mysteries and exactly what I should be doing as I prayed. But I kept doing it. I would be like okay, I have now said the rosary 5 times. Not that I was keeping track, but when you have only done something 5 times, you know you have only done something 5 times. : ) And before I knew it I had lost count.

Little by little, that repetition had helped me memorize all the prayers that go with the rosary. On Mother's Day, I finally buckled down and memorized the Hail! Holy Queen because I had been slacking on that one a bit. So at that point, I could do it pretty much without my cheat sheets. I didn't have all the mysteries memorized for the specific days of the week. However, I did have my favorite mysteries to ponder. I know, I am special. So if I didn't have my cheat sheet and I wanted to pray the rosary, I would just do a combo of my favorite ones. It would go a little like this:

"Okay, I need to say "Yes" to God more, so I will think about the Annunciation"
 Then I would typically stay with the Visitation next because that one just really makes me happy.
"Oh the descent of the Holy Spirit, is an awesome one! Please come to me and use me for others."
And then for some reason I would skip around and go to the Agony in the Garden and then the Baptism in the Jordan.

Yes, I knew this wasn't the most correct way to say the rosary but I didn't think Mary would mind. At least that is what I was told by a friend. : ) And it is all a part of the journey, and I can only imagine how more meaningful the rosary will become to me.

Nowadays, the rosary has turned into this weapon for me. It is so far from meaningless repetition for me. Sometimes, I might pray an "empty" rosary. But I feel that it still serves it's purpose. This repetition has helped calm my mind and is a huge comfort for me. I love it! Thank you Mama Mary! And if you are skeptic of the rosary....just do it. And repeat. Then you'll understand.

So more on helpful repetition. As a teacher I know that repetition is key. Students will not get new concepts the first time. Maybe slightly, but it definitely needs to be revisited. And the more you revisit it the more they get it and the more they can put their new knowledge to use. The obvious parallel you could draw to this concept is reading your Bible. That's and important but let's talk about something different.

Take a look at these pics:



These notes I took sometime in January make me smile. They are questions I had, things that made me go hmmmmm, or simply things I wanted to find out more about. I was reading the book, The World's First Love by Fulton Sheen. Oh man, most of it went in one ear and out the other. Yes, maybe I should have been reading a different book as an introduction to Mary. But this book is definitely one that I revisit and reread. I love rereading certain chapters in adoration. And each time I am like, "Oh that makes more sense now." But to get to the making sense part, I had to get through the note-taking, the praying, the re-reading, the repetition. It is amazing how that repetition thing works.

And lastly, I want to leave you with this prayer:

Ave Maris Stella

Hail, bright star of ocean, 
God's own Mother blest, 
Ever sinless Virgin, 
Gate of heavenly rest. 

Taking that sweet Ave
Which from Gabriel came, 
Peace confirm within us, 
Changing Eva's name. 

Break the captive fetter's, 
Light on blindness pour, 
All our ills expelling, 
Every bliss implore. 

Show thyself a Mother, 
May the Word Divine, 
Born for us an Infant, 
Hear our prayers through thine. 

Virgin all excelling, 
Mildest of the mild, 
Freed from guilt, preserve us, 
Pure and undefiled. 

Keep our life all spotless, 
Make our way secure, 
Till we find in Jesus, 
Joy forevermore. 

Through the highest heaven, 
To the Almighty Three, 
Father, Son and Spirit, 
One Same Glory be. Amen.

I have been reading this a lot lately. At first, I am sure the only part that really stuck out at me was the ending. But I kept saying it and now it is amazing how much it means to me and after days of reading it certain paragraphs would all of the sudden stand out to me. Plus, it is just crazy that I went from the questions at the top of the first note-page to absolutely loving that second paragraph. I really like the fourth paragraph as well.

So keep it up! Repeat those prayers. Reread those books. You never know when it will become clear. Sometimes we have to work through the mindless to get to the meaningful.

No comments: