Monday, February 6, 2012

Road Trippin' with Saint Michael

About a month ago my friend, Emily got married. It was an exciting event and I was blessed to be a bridesmaid in Emily and Lenny's wedding. It was cool for me because I had a front row seat to an awesome sacrament. However, that isn't even the point of this post.......but the road trip to and from Kansas City is the point to this post.

That particular week before the wedding was a tough one for me. Actually, the first four days of the new year were pretty awesome- I spent my new year praying for a lot of loved ones, the first day of the year I went to the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, and all-around I was feeling some great closeness to Him. I thought I had everything all figured out. In fact, I made that big mistake of saying, "The spiritual growth I have experienced this past week has been great. Thank you for filling me with Love. God, I think I got it covered from this point..." :) 

Yes, it was good that I was thankful and gracious for His peace but I was ready to be all independent again. When the spiritual warfare was brought on.....I failed miserably. It was beyond frustrating to say the least. Why was I so weak? 

So after a couple of conversations with a few people I was hopeful once again. I was ready for my next battle. :) After a particular conversation, I was ready to begin learning again and felt I needed to add some weapons to my arsenal. Not that I have stopped learning since becoming Catholic but my memorization goals haven't been as high on my priority list. But I decided there were a few prayers I needed to memorize to help me when I felt I needed a little extra help in my day. The big one being the Prayer to St. Michael. 

I was already recognizing how I allowed the Devil to enter into my conversations and effect my actions all too easily. I wanted to do something about it. So I decided I would nerd it up on the way to Kansas City. I had several people I wanted to pray for, I wanted to memorize more of the mysteries of the rosary, say some rosaries and I wanted to have that prayer to St. Michael down so could I could spout it off in my sleep. It was a very productive day. And I continued the goodness on my ride home. 

Needless to say, it was a very good thing I began asking for intercession from St. Michael. In particular there were a couple of days this past week where I found myself asking for St. Michael's help more times than I did on my road trip with St. Michael. St. Michael was pretty much the only reason I got through my week. And I am okay with that. :)

Check out a recent stained-glass creation: 

The wings of St. Michael are currently hanging from my rearview mirror. Bad lighting; but the stone is purple and there is purple glass on the back as well.  With of course a St. Michael medal in the middle. 




No comments: