Monday, January 2, 2012

Part 2: My "Lame" New Years

I know, I know. I did promise "Part 2: Kasie Goes to the Convent" but I realized I couldn't very well just leave out the middle of the story. I guess that means there will be a Part 3!

So New Years Eve is typically a pretty fun and happening time for a lot of people. When I really think about all the 27 years of new years eve-ness I have had I have come to a startling conclusion. Not a single one has really been all that memorable. Yeah, I have had your typical NYE festivities- Aggieville parties, fun-having with the besties, champagne toasts at midnight with the Grandma even, but nothing even compares to the peacefulness and happiness that filled me to the brim at 12:00 AM this year.

After mass, I planned on getting some chinese take-out and watch Water For Elephants. I could have went to a couple of different places but really a quiet night in was totally calling my name. So that is what I did. So you ask, "Kasie, chinese food and Water for Elephants will bring me peace?" Maybe. : ) But probably not.

So earlier this week I registered for a retreat at the Spiritual Life Center- thank you Mom for my Visa Gift Card. :) As I was perusing the SLC website I saw this advertisement: Ring in the New Year With Mass. Hmmm, that would actually be kind of cool.....but no it wouldn't.....it would be LAME. Like as lame as eating chinese food and watching movies. ;)

About 30 minutes into Water for Elephants (great movie btw) that ad was nagging at my thoughts, so I pushed paused and hopped in my car and started the trek to the SLC. It was a very peaceful night. I spent it with about 30 strangers in adoration, celebrating mass, learning a few things about Mary that I didn't know, and then a candle lit procession. After singing a Ave Maria hymn and getting blessed with holy water, we were done with about 2 minutes to spare. So Father led us in a few Hail Marys. I brought in 2012 saying Hail Marys for my family and friends. Can you say awesome?! One last happy o' the night was seeing Fr. John, the priest I gave my first confession to. So I guess 29 strangers to be more accurate. As I left the SLC, I couldn't stop smiling and I felt more peaceful than I had felt in a very long time.

So lame NYE? Yeah, I suppose so. :)  However, it felt so good on this soul!

In Christ, Through Mary!

No comments: