Saturday, February 4, 2012

Papa Don't Preach

We Catholics have some crazy battles going on right now. Go on facebook, read a few blogs, and browse the Internet. You can easily find an abundance of information about the Koman vs. Planned Parenthood topic, and the new HHS mandate that will require nearly everyone to provide contraceptives and sterilization procedures in all health plans. Many people are much better versed in this topic than I am. However, here are a few of my thoughts about those happenings but also about the pro-life and pro-choice debate in general.

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with one of my very best friends about the March for Life. Mind you, this was before I was Catholic and long before even a single thought of becoming Catholic was in my head. I still considered myself a Christian, however.

"A few of my students are going to D.C. next week."
"Oh really, what for?"
"They are going on the March for Life. Should be fun."
"Oh no! Poor students!"

"Oh, no! Poor students!" This was the end of that conversation. We didn't talk about why she felt that the March for Life was some big, bad wolf of a place to go. In fact, I didn't really think much of her opinion. I really didn't have an opinion. I remember thinking it a little extreme that she would feel that strongly against my students going to the March because I felt these kids were pretty legit and had things together. But regardless I was....INDIFFERENT. I made no moves to defend life.

In fact, I think it is safe to say I stayed indifferent to the whole pro-life and pro-choice debate for a long time. Even after I become Catholic last Easter. Before I would say, "You know, I would never get an abortion. However, if you did that is your decision."

Then when I was going through RCIA I was keenly aware of the teachings of the Church. I knew my whole indifference to some very important topics definitely needed a good tending to. I didn't want to pick and choose what was convient for me to believe. I knew that I didn't understand everything yet but that I wanted to be whole-heartedly sincere in my faith. So this meant taking a look at other things as well. Honestly, for the most part it has been pretty easy to see the truth. I studied up on anything from abortion, to birth control, to condoms, to pre-marital sex and how the church views these things.

When I was in high school I really bought into the whole waiting for marriage before sex. My friends all thought this way too. It was easy to live by this belief. Then, like most of us, I watched a few too may TV episodes dealing with casual sex relationships, went to college, and in general developed a viewpoint of, "Sex isn't that big of a deal." By no means did I think one-night stands were free game or a fun way to spend my weekends. But I thought it was completely okay to be in a long-term relationship and practice "safe sex". If you were dating someone, I probably assumed you were having sex with them because that is what is "normal". Shoot, everywhere I looked told me my belief was perfectly acceptable, mature, modern, and the right viewpoint.

In fact, I remember thinking it was very strange that my new roommate had her fiance over for the weekend and he SLEPT ON THE COUCH.  I thought:

"Like, really? I know you're Catholic and all but you're really going to make him sleep on the couch? There are plenty of people I know with the Catholic belief that have sex with their significant others and they are good people. It's really alright if he sleeps in your room."

Makes me smile now. That was some good faith in practice for me to see. But that is why I think that while this whole HHS mandate is very concerning to us all, that it is also a chance for us to rejoice. This is our chance to put our faith into practice. With a level head we must stand by our faith. Yes, the whole debate really isn't about whether or not contraceptives are right or wrong but it is about religious freedom. It's about asking a faith that is over 2,000 years old to lay down their beliefs and then giving them a year to do so. It's not gonna happen. In one year, or in 2,000 years. Even knowing that religious freedom is our fight, why not take this unique opportunity to share with people about the harmful repercussions associated with contraceptives?

You never know when you might change a person's mind. That's what the March for Life did for me this year and I didn't even go. :)  It's easy to say, "I am Catholic and I am pro-life." So easy. But really? And if you do believe that, what are you doing about it? Just questions that I had to ask myself. The March encouraged me to actually explore what this whole debate was really all about. It encouraged me to finally read that book, Unplanned by Abby Johnson, and then to pass it on to another friend. With specific instructions to keep passing the book. It encouraged me to pray rosaries for the unborn children. Even with the media's refusal to cover such an epic event as the March for Life; it's message did get received by many people. I guarantee it.

A year ago I would have thought you all were crazy. It is the simple truth. Now I am not saying I was really a hard case to win over but I was a person searching for something. There are lots of people like me. There are lots of indifferent people looking for something to believe in. As Catholics we need to take up our shields so that people stop listening to the "poor students!" and start paying attention to the "Yep. My fiance sleeps on the couch." Let us not get discouraged in times of battle because there are a lot of ears and eyes turned upon us. What an awesome opportunity!

Okay, I am done now. :) But I will leave you with a song that Pandora just played for me and in fact prompted the above post. Please excuse the Glee-ness. I know Glee has it's faults, but you gotta love the fact that when Quinn got pregnant as a high school student, abortion wasn't even an option. At least they got that part right. In fact, it is an awesome pro-life song. ;)

No comments: