Sunday, February 5, 2012

Adoration Letters

Exciting news!! I just got a letter in the mail informing me that I have my own adoration hour from 8-9pm every Monday! I am not sure if I share this hour with another person but I am pretty excited either way. More about adoration in a minute. 

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I went on a little retreat at the SLC. I jokingly told a friend that the retreat could have been about anything and I still would have went regardless. However, this retreat was about different ways to pray based on different saints. So that means that I would learn a new method of praying for about an hour, then go pray for about an hour. Then I would would learn a different method of prayer and then once again go pray for about an hour. We did this with five saints. Then you can just throw in a couple of masses, morning/evening prayer, adoration, confession, lots of time just sitting in the chapel, and yet even more prayer and you have my weekend planned out. Plus, the fact that a friend of mine from Sojourn was doing a personal retreat at the same time and that I just keep running in to him at random churches in Wichita, made the weekend that much better. It was a good weekend. 

A little about the people on the retreat. Once again, I was pretty much surrounded by older people because apparently young, single Catholics in their 20s are on the rare and endangered species list. But it was all good, because I wasn't there to meet people but just there for myself. However, there was this one man named John, that really reminded me of my grandpa. Everything from the way he looked, his salt and pepper beard, glasses, and the way he talked and told stories reminded me of my Grandpa Selenke. He was great! I enjoyed several meals chatting with John. The stories that he told me made it very apparent that this man was a man of God and a wonderful grandfather. His grandkids are extremely lucky. Anyway, he really got me to think about the relationships I have in my life. He made me want to be a better sister, daughter, aunt, friend and teacher. 

He talked about how he actually has a schedule of when he needs to send letters to his grandchildren. Mainly because he has so many and if he doesn't write down when he needs to send the letters, it is too easy to slack off and not keep in touch with them. He talked a lot about how his relationship with his children and grandchildren have changed over the years. How some times are harder than others but that it is important to not give up on the people you love. Needless to say I was inspired. :)

I bought a box of blank cards and took them to my next adoration time. There were a couple of hard letters I needed to write. My logic being that if I wrote them in the presence of Jesus that he'd help give me the wisdom I needed to write these letters. It was a good plan. 

Even if you don't have some hard letters to write, you have friends that need to hear from you. It seems that there are countless was to spend time with Jesus in adoration. Have you tried letters? 



No comments: