Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Part 3: Kasie Goes to the Convent????

So brief look back at "Part 1: Running" is necessary before the rest of the story. If you remember correctly, I was in the process of fortifying my wall during my recent "running away" stint at All Saints. However, God brought out his secret weapon to help destroy my wall- an All Saints church bulletin.....duh duh duhnnnn.

I grabbed the dang bulletin as an afterthought as I skipped out on mass. Let me translate that last sentence for you-

"Even at the very instant that I was planning "My way" and rejecting Him, he was chasing me down, He never stopped loving me or showing me His love."

As you could expect, I read the bulletin and saw this mention of a "Holy Hour of Peace" to be offered on Sunday the Solemnity of Mary Mother of God at Mount Saint Mary Convent. I thought it sounded pretty interesting. Plus, I knew that adoration at Holy Name wasn't going to be held this Monday because of the holiday. I figured this would be an awesome way to get in a little more adoration time this week. So after a few failed attempts at getting people to attend this event with me, I went alone.

As I was driving up to the buildings that make up the Congregation of St. Joseph, I missed my turn....on purpose...... a couple of times. It was kind of intimidating to say the least. But remembering my stupidness at All Saints earlier in the week, I finally turned in and drove up to the convent. Ha that is such a funny sentence.

My time spent in the Resurrection Chapel was quite the little blessing! First thing I noticed- I was extremely out of place. I wanted to ask, "Where are all the young people??!"I mean these people had a good 40-50 years on me. Most of them were ladies.....I mean I did kind of figure that before I got there. So I guess being a young 27 year-old male would have been more awkward. But the awkward faded fast, like in the first 3 minutes. Because, although I noticed the extreme age difference, nobody else seemed to. Being in the chapel with all those older souls was a good slow down for me. I walked in, right on time, due to my hesitance on driving up to the convent. By that time all the papers with the readings and psalms where passed out. Plus, I didn't have a hymnal. And I just found the nearest seat possible in the back to sit down in. Little did I know, I picked the best seat in the house, because it was right behind Nell.

Upon seeing me pretty clueless in the back, Nell got up, and got me a hymnal and allowed me to peak over her shoulder the whole time to read the antiphons and psalm readings. Then I got lots of old lady hugs. haha Here are my favorite things/most interesting things about the Holy Hour of Peace:

-The slow, meaningful pace. Yes, this was in part because it did take some of the people there longer to reach the podium and whatnot.....however it was a great reminder for me to pray S L O W. Yeah, I can get in a whole rosary on my way to school in the morning OR I could really meditate on what I am praying and maybe only get two decades in.

-The Love for each other. People watching was pretty great here. There was the older lady using a magnifying glass to read the paper. The older lady using her walker to get across the room. Nell sharing her papers. Nell helping the ladies next to her turn the papers. Pretty much everywhere I looked people were constantly helping each other in small little ways. They were loving each other at their finest. It was such a cool thing to see.

-This was the first time I have ever seen anyone besides a priest handle the host and put and take out the host from the monstrance. Kinda interesting.

-And lastly, I noticed the stained glass windows. Yes it is a problem. But I couldn't help but stare at them. They were all the same except the middle pane had something different in each one. Great blue and purple colors. A lot of the times I do like the more traditional stuff, however these really weren't and I still really liked them. It made me want to learn how to use paint on windows. But I have been told that is an expensive habit to pick up. :)

Also, I don't believe there were many lay people in attendance but I can't be entirely sure because they were all wearing "normal" clothes. After the Holy Hour, Nell introduced me to a ton of Sisters. They were asking me questions left and right. Sr. Mary Catherine was another Sister I talked with for quite awhile afterwards. They seemed to find a high school teacher of horticulture and Catholic convert interesting. So anyway I have a nun's number in my phone now and plans to visit in a couple of weeks when I am back in Wichita. She is going to give me a tour, feed me, and chat it up.

So going on a nun run, huh? See I know what you're thinking. : ) It is what it is, I guess. But really I am the one that finds these ladies refreshing and interesting. Plus, I am just hoping to form some relationships that help guide me in my faith. It would be nice to have someone that can help answer my questions and push me in my faith.

God and His silly church bulletin. Gosh that Guy knows what He is doing. :) Once again, He sure did put a smile on my face and peace in my heart. So beyond blessed it isn't even funny.

No comments: