Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fishing With Jesus

The last dream I remember having happened this past summer. I don’t really remember having dreams all that often. This time it was more of the same people in my last dream but then there was also this guy named Jesus in my dream. You may have heard about him. He was in a boat with me and another person. At first, I wasn’t so happy about this boat situation but by the end of my dream I remember thinking I sure am glad that Jesus is in my boat. The weird thing about this dream is that it just seemed to be on repeat. Me and Jesus and my friend in a boat. Then me and Jesus and my friend in a boat all over again. And again.

On Thursday night I had left school to come home to eat supper.  I was planning to go back to the school to work on a stained glass flip-flop. While at home I decided to watch part of the Catholicism Series that I had DVR’d. This night I’d be learning more about St. Peter and St. Paul. More specifically, I got some insight on what happened when Jesus got into Peter’s boat.  Oh, I bet that was fun for Peter. Which I am pretty sure sparked the above dream.  But anyway, as I was watching this episode I found myself relating really well to it’s message:

“So it always goes with Jesus. When He gets into your boat He takes you out into deep water. “

Which explains why many times I am like, “Get out of my boat, Jesus! I was perfectly fine before you got in my boat. I am exhausted with all this deep-water stuff. Maybe it’s best I just go back to shore?”

But then Jesus tells Peter cast out your nets! Peter, although doubtful, does just that and hauls in a miraculous catch! He falls to his knees and says, “Lord, leave me. I am a sinful man.”

All saints are sinners. Which is really the beauty of this whole thing. Even though I feel like Peter often. Even though I am unworthy of Jesus even on my very best of days. Even though I have enough doubt for us all on some days; I believe it will all work out in the end. The episode continued to talk about how when we are driving towards the light we can see more clearly the marks on our windshield. However, when we are driving away from the light we are pretty much all hunky dory and think that our windshields look great. Ha. So true.

That is kind of how my year has been. Having Jesus in my boat helps me see my flaws. While it is hard at times, it is definitely for the better. Pray for us all that we may have enough courage to let Jesus in our boat even when we think we can’t do anymore deep-water stuff.  We have to keep plugging away because Jesus will provide for us. Let Him in and be open to where He takes you. You will haul in that miraculous catch and fall even deeper in love with Him.

We are courageous all the time right? Never stubborn? Never afraid? Oh wait never mind, we’re human. So the awesome thing about Jesus is that when we are in the midst of ignoring him and guiding our own boats, He just up and hijacks our boat. He sits himself right smack-dab in the middle of our boat and says deal with me. He is also really smart. Deep waters seem scary. They do. But He is going to gradually lead you in from the kiddie pool to the Pacific Ocean. He will never give us more than we can handle.

Sidetrack: I remember last February when I was going through RCIA and Emmalee was talking to me about baptism and becoming Catholic. The gist of our conversation was something like this---- “You know Kasie, once you are baptized you will be held to a different standard than others. There will be a mark on your soul that God will be able to recognize. You have to be all-in; completely aware of the promises you will be making to God.”

I was like, “I know, I know, I know! I’m in.  Oh and by the way, can we just go ahead and get all baptized today?”  Wow. I am not so sure I would have been so quick to say my answer if I’d known what I know now. Like I said, Jesus knew he needed to ease me into deep waters.

By the way, I would just like to point out that I was extremely happy and peaceful when I woke up. I mean, come on, what girl wouldn’t be with Jesus in her boat?


No comments: