Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dragons and God or Ants and Eagles

As I mentioned in my last post, I read a lot last weekend. Not even my usual kind of read for the past several months. No religious topics :). Just good ol' tales of dragons, war, love, elves and werecats. Yes, I am a nerd. Yes, I am reading Inheritance. Yes, I am going to blog about it. :) 

You see, leave it to me to read this young adult fantasy book and relate it back to spirituality. But as you are about to find out, dragons and God do mix. : ) 

So if you do plan to read Inheritance, you may not want to read much further.....it doesn't contain many spoilers but a few quotes from the book. Here's the first quote: 

"When Eragon was a child, Carvahall and Palancar Valley had been all he had known. He had heard of the Empire, of course, but it had never seemed quite real until he began to travel within it.  Later still, his mental picture of the world had expanded to include the rest of Alagaesia and, vaguely, the other lands he had read of. And now he realized that what he had thought of as so large was actually but a small part of a much greater whole. It was as if his point of view had, within a few seconds, gone from that of an ant to that of an eagle. 

For the sky was hollow, and the world was round.

It made him reevaluate and recategorize....everything. The war between the Varden and the Empire seemed inconsequential when compared with the true size of the world, and he thought how petty were most of the hurts and concerns that bedeviled people, when looked at from on high. 

To Saphira, he said, If only everyone could see what we have seen, perhaps there would be less fighting in the world. 

You cannot expect wolves to become sheep. 

No, but neither do the wolves have to be cruel to the sheep. "

Ahhhhhhh, I just love it!!! Forgive me while I talk of Eragon as a real person for a second. 

Eragon is extremely relatable in this sequence. In a couple of different ways. I can relate in the literal way of course. More in more I am in awe of how little I am. How little you are. We are just specks, on specks, on specks on the timeline of life that God has created. Really. The things that "bedevil" (love that use of this word) are so...petty. In the grand scheme of things, of course. The devil is a tricky foe and causes us much despair. But try to think eagle-ish :) . Or at least understand that He is the master architect. He is the great artist of our lives. 

If you could see your plan, you'd look at it and say, "oh". The beauty of all of this life, is that you don't get that eagle-eye view. You just don't. But we have the knowledge to know that all of us specks are in good hands. The best hands, in fact. I know I'd say "oh, I get it." We have to trust that He and His eagle-eye view are bringing us closer to Him each day!

Okay, second more metaphorically speaking type of thing I draw from this text. Suppose for a second that the words "the Empire" were replaced by Jesus. 

"He had heard of the Empire, of course, but it had never seemed quite real until he began to travel within it."

Go ahead....you can smile. : ) Okay, then skip to this. 

"It made him reevaluate and recategorize....everything."

And that my friends, is exactly how I feel. : ) More to come on my good friend, Eragon next time. 



No comments: