Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cooper Moments and Baby Dreams

Much, much, much to blog about. Unfortunately, only one thing at a time. At least I will try one thing at a time, anyway. : ) This (like most things I blog about) has actually been stirring around in my head for awhile now. But I am glad I waited a few days!

So in life we enjoy many different roles or relationships. One that I find completely and utterly refreshing and amazing is my role as an aunt. My sister Kami, has two kids Brynley (5) and Cooper (2). Oh man, these kids.......they can melt my heart. Everyone needs kids like these. For reals. They can make me buy them $5 popcorn and $4 sodas without blinking an eye. They can make me answer to such silly names such as "Boots" (Thank you Cooper). They can simply astound me with their matter-of-fact-thoughts, "Jesus is the light and we should tell that to everyone we know." And oh my gosh, they have the best smiles and HUGS. Children are truly a blessing.

A few things have proven this to me. I would like to share what I call the "Cooper Moment". My nephew Cooper was about 1 1/2 at the time this happened. Not able to talk.....at least in real people language. Baby language- well he had that covered. Here is a remarkable story.

My cousin Cortney had just passed away. She was involved in a car accident that flipped into a river and she and the person she was with drowned in the river. Cortney was my age, 26 at the time. Too young to die. It was definitely a hard time for my Aunt and Uncle and their other daughter Grace, an 8th grader. Well after Cortney's funeral we all went over to my Uncle Bruce's house in Oxford. It was the typical eat and try to be normal kind of thing.

At these things, I can honestly say the person who is without a doubt, the most comforting to me, is Bryn or Coop. They just are. And this past year I have been in a few situations with Cortney's and Papa's and Grandpa Selenke's funerals where they helped me through. In fact, I will NEVER forget walking out of the church at Papa's funeral and scooping Brynley up for a hug. It was like all my emotions were just let go. And of course she couldn't see because she was hugging me. : )

But back to my uncles house. I usually end up spending a lot of time with the kiddos at family events. I might just be called the crazy aunt. Which might just be because I am a crazy person. I don't now; just rumors. So I was playing cool games with the kids in the living room. Grace was also there. She was chilling on a pillow. I was chilling on the recliner and was playing a game that involved Cooper, running from me to Kaitie. Kinda like a "I-am-gonna-get-you-type-of-game". These games are also usually frowned upon by adults (yes I am one of those) in a house setting. Nonetheless, we played. Sometimes, Cooper would need prompting where to run......I don't know...... he was still a young fella. So this particular time I was pointing and saying run to Kaitie!

This is where it begins to get remarkable. Cooper runs straight to Grace. Climbs up in her lap and wraps those little arms around her neck. And he stays here. All night. He would not go to anybody else.

Mama's boy, Cooper, did this. At this point in Cooper's life, I am pretty sure I hadn't even held him as much as Grace was holding him. It was beyond out of character for Cooper. It was freaking crazy!!!

So there you have it. A bonifide "Cooper Moment" as I like to call them. Proof that there is a God. Proof that He is definitely with us. Proof that He is there healing us in our suffering. And really the first time I can recall that I felt I was in God's company.

Who else could have even began to comprehend the pain and hurt in Grace's heart. Yeah, she was hangin in there. But this 13 year old had just lost a sister. Oh.....I can't imagine the pain of losing one of my siblings. My mind is too small to comprehend that kind of loss. Just as my mind is too small to comprehend that amount of love Jesus has for us. It is amazing really. But Cooper could sense it. It was like he was able to communicate with God and that God was telling, or prompting, Cooper to love Grace. I don't feel I can do the story justice but I do know it was definitely a point that helped me grow in my faith. I also know it had to have given Grace a lighter heart that night. Hopefully, a small glimmer of hope amongst all the sadness.

So this prompted discussion with a friend on "Cooper Moments". To put some things into perspective.....this was probably a month or so before I solidified my desire to convert to Catholicism. I was so fired up about this. It was the closest to God I had ever been. It was beyond AMAZING!! I wanted to share this story with people but I also wanted to hear their stories. Like when have you truly really felt God in your presence? I think it was safe to say I was completely in awe of God and this new concept. I mean, I definitely considered myself a Christian, but this made my head spin!

So fast-forward to just a few days ago. Cooper is now a big boy....2 since Marth 12th. : ) He is now a little bit more improved on real people language. However, he does think my name is Boots. I don't know....he's cute. Anyway, on to another kid- Warren. My amiga (his Mom) Lindsay, was coming over to get crazy! Yep, we were about to watch some redbox movies and make individual mini pizzas! Also, she was bringing her little guy, Warren, who I believe is somewhere in the range of 8 weeks old. He is still a small little guy.....but definitely growing!

Warren was making these cute little twitching faces as he was falling asleep, so we got into this conversation about children and what we believe is their inherent ability to communicate with God. The best part is.....it probably happened to us too. We just can no longer remember this, as we have grown up and lost our little kid innonence. We were actually debating on what babies dream about. They can't possibly dream like us.....they don't know anything yet. Is it a nice comfy blanket, snuggled up in their mom's arms? Do they dream in shapes? Maybe it's noises? Or our personal favorite.....do they dream of angels?

We don't know....for as smart as we are, we are dumb in this area. But I do now this:

Matthew 11: 25-30

"I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and learned you have revealed them to the little ones. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to revel to him"

There is more but that is my favorite part. That was part of the Gospel reading in mass past Sunday.

Then comes Monday. Monday was a great 4th! Good family time....and well my Grandma let me borrow this book called Heaven is for Real. I started reading it around 11:30 that night before bed. Read it cover to cover and went to bed at 1:30. It was a good book! It was a 4 year old boys near-death experience and his visit to Heaven. Check it out for sure. There were a couple of parts I cried. No surprise there. lol

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
-Jesus of Nazareth.

And I know I have seen some other scripture relating to this at daily mass....I just can't find it now! Bummer. But it isn't by accident that Jesus picked Cooper to reach Grace. But He can do this with us too. If we let Him. We just need to humble ourselves to be more like little children. Get rid of preconceived notions. Do things without thinking through and trying to plan them out how you think they ought to go. Answer things with the honestly of a child. BELIEVE like a child. A child's belief in Jesus is CRAZY AMAZING! They accept this amazing truth that Jesus is the Light, that Jesus died for us. They are still too young to believe in silly things like the real world or to juggle thoughts of disbelief like Thomas. What an amazing blessing.

So become like little children. This is what Jesus means and wants us to do. I believe this will also open our hearts to the Holy Spirit and bring us greater peace.

I am just overwhelmed with Jesus and His amazing love for all His little children. Just open your eyes.....you will see it. And with any luck you will feel it and have your own "Cooper Moment"!

No comments: