Thursday, June 30, 2011

Daily Mass and Other Adventures of a New Catholic

So yesterday was like a 3-1 special! Definitely the most productive, yet relaxing, day of the summer yet. Mostly because I started my plan of going to daily mass and then going walking. Let me tell you- sometimes I just have the greatest ideas ever! haha

So let me just say....I want to go to daily mass. Awwww but daily mass is just sooooo awkward at Holy Name! It's funny actually. But let's back this sucker up just a bit.....

I remember the first daily mass I ever went to. I believe it was during spring break this year. I teach, so I didn't have any class for a week. So when I was going through RCIA, I pretty much ate, drank, and slept all things Catholic. Well, I still kinda do. ;) I know it must be annoying to some people. lol

So back to the story, I decided to go to daily mass during spring break. Even to this day, I am amazed that some people went through, or go through school, going to mass every day. What an amazing gift to be given! I am also sure most kids don't realize the awesomeness of this gift but I don't think for a second that I wouldn't have felt the same way if I had grown up in it. That, my friends, is what puts me in awe of God's plan. Because now I can just relish in it and have a hunger to go to mass more than I think I would have.

So first daily mass, huh? Yep. It was special. Another thing to remember, this was March. So I am not going to do all the math, but a quick little count says that I have been to a total of maybe 10 masses at the most (with the intent to learn and become Catholic) to this point. So pretty much brand-spanking-new to this mass thing.

So for some reason, Fr. Mike does a little change of location for daily mass- in the little side chapel. I like the side chapel, go there lots for adoration. But this is weird! I walk in and it is was pretty close when mass was going to start and there is nowhere to sit......but the very, very front. And the whole place is just me and a bunch of older ladies. Tell me again, why there aren't cool single, young adults at my parish lol : )

So cool thing about the very, very front. Great vantage point for the Eucharist! lol And for someone, especially at this point in my journey, that is extremely curious and sponge-like it was exciting to be so close to the action. I wanted to take notes. haha not really but you get my point. : )

Bad thing about very, very front of church- I was nervous I would do something wrong! I was like I don't know everything yet!!!! So I devised a plan. I would tilt my face to the side so I could see what the others were doing behind me but not make it obvious. Umm Hmm. Not obvious. : ) I have no idea if I was obvious or not, but I did make it through mass unscathed. But when Fr. Mike mentioned staying for morning prayer after this; I had reached my point and I was out the door! I didn't go back to daily mass at Holy Name that week. : ) Went to Wellington once, with a friend, but didn't go back to daily mass at Holy Name until this summer.

Wellington was an experience too. Although less awkward, still slightly so. It was the first time to genuflect in front of someone I know and all that. So definitely another learning and growing point of my journey. I think a point to help me become more comfortable with sharing my faith with others.

It's funny how in the past six month's I have been in a number of these situations: my first mass ever, my first adoration, telling people in my life I was becoming Catholic, RCIA classes (by myself), giving gifts at my grandpa's funeral, my first stations, my first rosary, first rosary with people, first time to lead a decade in a rosary with people, going to the Cathedral and meeting Bishop Jackels, going to my Lenten retreat at the SLC, my baptism, my first Eucharistic feast, going to Sojourn, first morning prayer/evening prayer experience, my first confession, going to daily mass even now..... the list is endless! Plus, I know it will continue to grow. Which definitely makes me smile.

But the point is, when I think about all these first, I am.......I am, I guess, in awe, in doubt, or just simply amazed by this journey. I did this. I guess, I am just kinda proud of myself. I have put myself in a ton of uncomfortable situations. And unless you have been there, it might be kind of hard to understand. But really I think that we all can relate. Everyone has that something that they have always wanted to do...but didn't. Let me tell you, it is not going to be comfortable, you WILL mess things up, but it is worth it!! Worth it a thousand times over.

So back to daily mass. I have finally mustered up enough courage to go back. I went back towards the beginning of the summer. To be honest I really don't remember much of that one. But then I went again yesterday. Which really started my day out perfectly. Plus, I stayed for morning prayer this go around! The youth group was there, which helped me in my awkwardness. I guess I just like when younger people are in the room. Little old ladies are the sweetest thing ever, but I feel a little out of place at times. Then I talked with the church secretary, Sandy, after morning prayer. Finally got registered in the Parish. Got a pen. got a cool magnet. Got some more reading material. Got a stewardship form.Whoop! Whoop!

Yes, it is true. It's definitely the little things in life. : )


So I think it is time to add to my list again..... I am thinking get my own adoration hour, maybe be a lector, something with the youth group kids and hopefully starts something with the young adults. My parish really needs that. : )

So since this post is already long enough......I will finish telling you about the 3-1 day tomorrow. That was just day 1 of 3. See..... it was jammed packed. : )

No comments: