Saturday, August 18, 2012

Labeled

Most of the time people don't like to be labeled. Not that labels are untrue, but they more often than not limit the truth. If an individual is labeled a jock, they can have no other interests than lifting weights, drinking beer and watching ESPN. If an individual is labeled smart, they must love reading books, drinking coffee, playing with their chemistry set and watching The Big Bang Theory. I mean, surely this must be true!!

Actually, we all know better than this but we still make generalization with many people we know. I guess, what brings on this whole thought process is that I have been labeled. What you might ask? As a "church person". Oh the horror! As a "church person" I pray daily, attend church, dress in skirts, listen to TobyMac, and  believe in God. See I told you they're all true! : ) In all actuality I don't mind being labeled a "church person". It is just really interesting to hear some things that come out of people mouths.

On Wednesday, Catholics all over the world celebrated the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was indeed an exciting day for me and for many. I even dressed in a skirt for mass that morning and then went to school still in said skirt. Some of my FFA officers arrived at the school to work on the mentor and recycling projects we are doing this school year. Their reactions to seeing me in a skirt and hearing the reasoning behind it, " You're like such a church lady." And for some reason my mind immediately jumps to the elderly women in daily mass. "What?!" hahaha

Simply put- it's hard to explain your faith sometimes. During retreat we had this activity called Me-In-A-Bag. Basically you pick objects that describe you and you tell other people what they mean to you. One of my items was my rosary. When it was time to ask questions at the end, almost every question that was asked to me was about that rosary or faith-related. Why didn't they ask me more about the Mamma Mia CD or the Lego man? Labeled.

And then later as I was sifting through my bag of mail during retreat, I came across more questions. These were questions about the Bible, (he was under the assumption that I had read the whole Bible), and questions about how I react when someone offends my faith.

The more I think of my new label, the more I can appreciate it. I think that many of my students don't receive any kind of faith background. Two of my officers talk openly with me about Jesus. But then most of them think I am just some holy woman who makes them pray at meals on retreat. So therein is my dilema, how much do I share? Faith-sharing can be very in your face. Faith-sharing can be taken so completely out of context and be drastically misunderstood.

I wish to be a good example for others. I certainly pray that I can lead others closer to Christ. I just don't want to be non-relatable to my students. To be labeled can sometimes set up a wall that blocks communication. It seems the minute people learn that I am serious about my faith they fail to remember all the other parts that I am too. Yes, a person can like Green Day and love adoration at the same time (never mind the fact that most people I know have no idea what adoration is). It applies to my students, family and friends. How can I be Christ-like to them without them even knowing? Because I fear the minute they catch on to my "church lady" ways they will turn tail and run the other way.

No comments: