Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Catholic Heaven

Typically, I am pretty quiet about my faith around most people. Maybe there are a few things I do, such as play Christian music, and wear a rosary on my wrist that might give me away. However, I have said the words, "I am Catholic" to very few people.

However, I LOVE talking about my faith. I really do. On top of this, although I am quiet to most people and don't really bring it up in conversation, I am really proud that I am Catholic.

That's why I ended up talking to Erik about religion in class today. We had finished up our welding final, and most students were quietly working on something for another class. Erik was talking to a few other students at his table. They were talking about religion and I was catching bit and pieces of the conversation. Basically, Erik didn't believe in all this Christianity stuff, as he preferred to follow the religious beliefs of the Vikings and believed in multiple Gods. Hmmmm. He went on and on and I really wanted to same something. But I didn't. But then he says this:

"They believed in different kinds of Heavens depending on who you are. You don't go to the same Heaven. Like there is a Christian Heaven and then there is a Catholic Heaven."

And then I just couldn't stay quiet..........

"Erik, what did you just say?"

"There are different kinds of Heaven...."

"Yeah I heard that but the Christian and Catholic part?"

"Yeah for example, some of us might go to Christian Heaven and the Catholics could go to Catholic Heaven."

"But Erik, Catholics are Christians."

"But, but..."

"Christians are people who believe in Jesus Christ and Catholics believe in Jesus. Therefore we are Christians. I am Catholic and I am a Christian."

And so started quite the little discussion with Erik. And it wasn't really Erik's use of the word "Catholic" (okay maybe a little) that prompted me to speak. In contrast, it was really his complete omission of all the other sectors of Christianity. What about Methodists, Lutheran, Baptist, Presbyterian and the-list-goes-on Heavens? Erik soon found out that before the Reformation in the 16th century, all Christians were Catholic.

It really was quite a fun little talk. A couple of other kids would pop in every so often. We talked about his disbelief in the Bible. How could the Bible be true it was written by man? Next topic. Why are Christians so judgmental, my sister is a lesbian and they all say she is going to Hell? Then, why can't I do what I want in this life? What if there isn't anything after this and I didn't enjoy this life and get every thing out of this life by trying everything? Plus, if I am a good person does it really matter? Then my favorite, why does Christianity put down the importance of women? I seriously had to restrain myself BIG time because I wanted to do a happy dance and ask, "Haven't you ever heard of your Momma Mary?!"

The more we shared our thoughts, the better the conversation got. He share a little about the Vikings or about various other religions he had tried out and I share a little about mine. For example,  if a Viking dies in battle, they go to 'heaven" and if they die but not in battle, they go to "hell". Which totally explains why Hiccup wanted to slay dragons in "How to Train Your Dragon." We talked about how his Mom had wanted him to be baptized before she died. But now he just wasn't so sure. He has a couple of friends that go to a Christian church that he sometimes goes to but not regularly. He feels judged. At the end of our conversation he actually said, "Wow, this is all really confusing!"

I am like "You're telling me!" :)

Erik is like a lot of my kids. He has had more crazy stuff happen to him in his 17 years than in my 27. He doesn't necessarily have it easy. Yeah, part of it is his fault. He doesn't always make the best decisions dealing with drugs and alcohol, he can be kind of a turd to a lot of people, and sometimes I think he is a bit lazy. But this kid is searching for something. Yep, for Jesus. I really pray that Erik's search ends not in Viking armor but in the Armor of God. We definitely need more warriors in this battle!

St. Michael the Archangel, Pray for us!

No comments: