Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Best Five Minutes

For the past several weeks the best 5 to 10ish minutes of my week happen right before confirmation class on Wednesday nights. Sometimes the time spent here is even more precious than my time spent in adoration.

After setting up for class, I sneak away for a few minutes to the church before the doors get locked. At Holy Name, there is a small side chapel that is attached to the main church. This is where we have adoration on Monday nights, daily mass when school is not in session and it acts like kind of an overflow area for Sunday mass.

But on Wednesday nights the side chapel is dark. The red candles are lit. Jesus is in the tabernacle. And there is no one else around. Well except the choir people in the choir loft. However, the side chapel is just barely/conveniently hidden from the choir loft in such a way that I can listen to their music but they cannot see me. :) I love it. I pray and listen as they practice the Gloria and Holy, Holy, Holy and random mass songs.

And now that it is cold outside it is even more perfect and cozy. For some reason I imagine all the crazy things going on around me, all the struggles, all the normal daily distractions of life being on the outside of that church building. It's literally my sanctuary. For my weekly "Best Five Minutes" I know that God is good.

For this song I know that God is good.


No comments: