Monday, November 5, 2012

A Glimpse of Glory

Two weekends before my trek to Indianapolis for National FFA Convention I found myself in Lincoln, Nebraska. Growing up a mere five minutes from Oklahoma, this was only the second time in my life that I had made it to the Cornhusker state.

I was going on a retreat and it was going to be with the School Sister's of Christ the King. I was originally supposed to be going with another friend of mine, however plans had changed and I ended up going by myself. When I arrived I quickly picked up on the fact that this was to be a silent retreat. Somehow, both my friend and I had missed that small detail. Regardless, it was definitely exactly what I needed. It was a quiet two days. In fact, I could not wait for that hour or so of recreation we got on that Saturday night. It was actually pretty joyful- the most joyful I had been in awhile- and it was obviously a fruit of the silence. 

I had never been on a silent retreat. I had never prayed that much in my life either. Mass, Liturgy of the hours, adoration, talks and several mediations each day. In fact, I remember sitting in the chapel, feeling like I had no worries floating in my head; I had prayed them all away. I did reach a point on Sunday morning, where I was done. I was tired and I knew there was one more meditation coming up but I wasn't sure if I was going to do it. Maybe I would just sit in the chapel and do nothing. :)

However, after some much needed coffee, I was feeling my second wind coming on. This time we got to pick what ever meditation we wanted from our book. As I was scanning the titles, nothing was catching my eye. Then I saw, "A Glimpse of Glory." Well that sounds awesome! Who wouldn't want a glimpse of Jesus? 

That morning I traveled with Jesus to the top of mountain and witnessed His transfiguration all while remaining in that church pew. :) However, it made me realize how much Jesus does for us still. He knows our weaknesses, our doubts and our fears. But He never leaves us alone. Just as Jesus strengthened Peter, James and John by taking them up to the mountain with Him that day, he does that for me and for you. He knew all the events to come with his crucifixion and knew they would need help keeping their faith. He provided exactly what they needed. 

Sure, this retreat has helped me when I "came down from the mountain", but it also is much more than that. It's the people, opportunities, and seemingly meaningless events that Jesus puts into our lives that help strengthen us everyday. It's the faith and the hope that he will continue to do this out of love for us. Jesus is so good to us and I can't wait to someday get that glimpse of glory and look upon His face. 

No comments: