Sunday, December 11, 2011

Catholic Conundrum #4: Advent and the Mysterious Pink Candle

Advent? Hmmmmm, since I really didn't start attending mass until the second week of January last year,  this is kind of a new thing for me. For two weeks I have been sitting in the pews wondering why there was one pink(rose) candle on the Advent Wreath. Shoot, I had been meaning to look it up but just kept forgetting. Then at mass today I was informed that it was not only the third Sunday of Advent but it was Gaudete Sunday aka Pink Candle Sunday. : ) Well, to be perfectly honest, I really didn't understand Fr. Ruben's accent for this Latin word, so I really didn't even know it was Gaudete Sunday until I got on my laptop and looked that sucker up. : )

Here is the interesting thing about Gaudete Sunday. It came in such a timely manner. It's is just really funny that the things Father talked about in his homily are some of the very things I was beginning to realize at the end of last week. This is a season of rejoicing!! Plus he quoted Mother Teresa several times. One being, "A smile costs nothing but gives much." It was just an all-around great reminder of the one thing that can truly make each and every last one of us happy- God. If we only let Him. :) Today's world is constantly telling us all the material things we need to make us happy. I have a perfect example of this that I will be blogging about soon. But here's a sneak preview: Do we really need that new car, a huge house, a Kindle, an iPad, or shoot even a dang iPhone? Should we really move in with our boyfriend, lead a promiscuous lifestyle, or do what ever we feel like just because it will make us happy? I mean this is the message I am sent every single day of my life. I hear it on the radio, on television, in conversations I hear just walking down the hall. So it must be okay???? Nope. Actually, God is the one thing that will lead us to true happiness. : ) Rejoice!

Okay, back to my Advent researching. I found all sorts of cool facts about Advent. Including these cute little Advent Calendars. It is kind of ironic, because my mom would do these with us kids when we were little. : ) So apparently I have celebrated Advent before. The most interesting thing I stumbled upon was how the Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate Advent with the Nativity Fast. Seems more intense like Lent. Look it up, it's legit.

So in the midst of all my new-found knowledge I wondered, "Hmmm, who else celebrates Advent?" So then I googled, " do methodists celebrate advent." : ) You see, I could not for the life of me remember celebrating Advent as a Methodist. Granted, my church going habits were a bit sketchy. But according to the all-powerful Internet, Methodists do celebrate Advent. As well as Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians, and I am sure many other denominations. I am sure each in their own ways. Afterall, we are all Christians. Who wouldn't celebrate the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ?!

Happy Gaudete Sunday!

No comments: