Friday, May 4, 2012

Thank you, Jeremy

Wednesday was one of those days that I just wanted to wallow in bad thoughts. Oh sure, I could have bucked up and decided to get over things. However, it was almost liked I enjoyed torturing myself. I don't know if you can relate, but I am betting you can. It got to the point where it was hard to teach, to be around people, to pretty much function in general. Finally, I thought, "Why am I allowing myself to dwell on this?"

Needless to say, I don't think I was the greatest Christian example either of the past two days. Most especially Wednesday. Then again on Thursday I really had to watch myself with my welding boys. I was already worn thin and then I had to put up with the laziness of my fourth period welding class. The last hour of my day ended with me getting cussed out and the student getting written up. It's funny because I don't know what Jesus would do in some situations in my life. How would He love this kid?

But good thing life goes on, because today was a pretty good day. Mostly, thanks to Jeremy. On Wednesday I really wasn't very nice to him. In fact, if Jeremy would have treated me like I treated him on Wednesday, I probably would have tried to avoid me at all cost during the next class. But Jeremy worked hard all hour. He helped me help other people all hour. He swept off ALL the tables without me asking. He followed me around with a dustpan and swept up all my piles of dirt....again without me asking. He put up other people's tools at the end of the hour. He asked questions like, "Hey, are you done using the chopsaw for today? I am going to pick it up for you."

You better believe I noticed this. His actions were practically screaming at me. It made me extremely happy. So I started picking up all the mess that Aaron dragged out. Then before you know it, Aaron is not only just cleaning up his normal mess but putting forth a little more effort than usual. He swept way under the tables. He wrapped up the cables NICELY. And before I know it all the boys in the shop are amazing me and the shop looks pretty spic and span.

What a crazy chain reaction that occurred from the actions of Jeremy! And really during this whole process, I didn't hear a lot of talk. It was just getting the job done and a thank you here and there. And by golly nobody asked to leave class early because of the extra work they had done.

Then at the end of the hour Aaron says, "Today was a good day."

And that it was. Now I am left thinking- How can I apply this lesson to my sailors in 4th period? It shall be a fun test.






No comments: